Monday, March 4, 2013

Horseshoe Elevation Fest FatAss Run (2013)

RUNS: Horseshoe Elevation Fest!!
This was the third year of the Horseshoe Elevation Fest and the second year that we attended. It is a FatAss race/run held on the Horseshoe Trail with a great group of people. It is a 10k loop and you can do as many loops as you please up to a 50k. The timing of this event is great because many of us are using it as a training run for some upcoming ultra. The loop is about 4 miles trail and 2 miles road. We are to go opposite directions each loop.

We gather bright and not to early at Stephan's house. See he lives right on the HST. It actually goes directly across his long and winding driveway. About 100 people show up to run. Everyone has brought a bunch of food for the aid station and for the after party. It is cold and windy outside with snow flurries off and on. Much different then the warm and misty rain of last year.

We gather for the group picture. Stephan gives us some brief instructions and we head off down the driveway.
Gathered at the start.
Once you get to the bottom of his driveway you round the corner and head back up his neighbors driveway and immediately onto the Horseshoe Trail which is a field crossing...

Right from the start my legs are heavy and I am slow moving. It is extremely cold and windy. And I tell Rik to go ahead and go. Not to wait for me. I catch up with a small group of girls just as we are entering the woods and I hang with them for the rest of the first loop. Particularly a chick named Jo. We run and talk and she tells me that she is an experienced ultra runner and has run many of the upcoming races Rik is doing this year.

We finish up the trail portion and come out on to the road portion. Run for about 2 miles and hit up the Horseshoe Trail again that brings us back around to Stephans house. I manage to lose Jo and the other girls on the last hill up to his house.

I continue to feel crappy but am moving at an okay pace. I already know that I am only going to do two loops so I only eat an orange slice and sips of Gatorade at the aid station and stuff some M&Ms and swedish fish in my pocket to go! Then I quickly head back out.

Since I am doing this loop in opposite it is downhill to start but rocky....
Then back out onto the road for a bit. I am moving pretty good on the road but the longer I run it the more my body hurts. I cant really explain it except to say that I hurt. First my one knee then the other and my hip for awhile. I can clearly tell that my body just is not happy with the running.

I played games with my head for a bit trying to talk my body into feeling better so that I could do one more loop. I kept thinking that yes, I could do another loop and get my mileage but really, what difference does it make come tomorrow if I ran 6ish more miles or not. My body was tired and sore all over and it probably just wasnt worth it.

So I just continued to enjoy my run the best that I could. I love doing a loop like this. Especially when you do the reverse order. That way you are continually passing people and everyone is so happy and encouraging. Asking how many loops are you doing, how many have you done, how are you feeling, the trails are thawing and getting muddy warnings, etc. It really was a good time!

One of the last hills here before some downhill to the field....

I finished up and immediately head inside to get warm! How cool is it that Stephan puts on this run but even cooler that he and his family allow us into their home to eat, hang out, use the bathroom, etc. Last year it was nice enough that we were able to hang out on his very large porch. But this year it was just to cold. He did have one of those big heater things out there and a bunch of the guys hung out there but not me. No way I hung inside...where it was warm...where the food was!

EATS: Speaking of food! We took bananas and cookies for the aid station and I made my usual Quinoa Fruit Salad for the after party...

And here are some pics of the other food available (I seriously only got a small portion of what was actually available!)...
Carbs!
Goulash, Chili, Hummus and veggies, My Quinoa salad.
More veggies and dip, fruit and dip, German potato salad and not sure what the other one was.
This was all washed down with some delightful beverages all while I sat here.....
In front of that HUGE fireplace!
We eventually drove home and I immediately took a nap before I even took a shower or put anything away. For some reason I was exhausted! What a great day with friends :)

Have you ever run a FatAss event?!

Happy Trails.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like a wonderful run! I would like to try trails this summer. Aaaannnd I never thought of adding fruit to my quinoa.. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it! And by "it" I mean running trails and fruit in your quinoa!!

      Delete
  2. Glad you had fun! But also glad to know others have days like that when running too. We just need rest...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it's more fun to hang out and eat too ;)
      Rest is good, lol!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It really was even though I didn't have a good running day ;)

      Delete
  4. Just thought I should tell you how jealous of your trail running I am!! It's my ultimate goal to run a 50k or longer. I just haven't bitten bullet and done it yet. One day!

    ReplyDelete